Teaching passages range from encouragement to stern admonishment. Some of the most valuable information that your hearers can hear can be found in these recitations. You may bring the life-changing advice that someone needs to hear–but beware, not everyone wants their life to be changed! In reciting a teaching, you are in the position of the teacher and must be able to deliver the message with some authority. Don’t shy away under a shield of false modesty. If the passage is stern, then lean into it. Examples of teachings are shown below, divided into four categories:
Admonishment & Worldly Influence
- Ecclesiastes 1:2-2:26 NIV
- 14…I have seen all the things that are done under the sun; all of them are meaningless, a chasing after the wind.
- 1Timothy 1:1-20 NIV
- 7…They want to be teachers of the law, but they do not know what they are talking about or what they so confidently affirm…
- 1Corinthians 11:17-23 NIV
- 21b…As a result, one person remains hungry and another gets drunk. Don’t you have homes to eat and drink in?…
- James 2:14-26 ESV
- 16… and one of you says to them, “Go in peace, be warmed and filled,” without giving them the things needed for the body, what good is that?…
- James 4:1-6 NLT
- 2b…Yet you don’t have what you want because you don’t ask God for it. And even when you ask, you don’t get it because your motives are all wrong…
- James 2:1-26 NIV
- 2…Suppose a man comes into your meeting wearing a gold ring and fine clothes, and a poor man in filthy old clothes also comes in. …
- Acts 20:28-32 NIV
- 29…I know that after I leave, savage wolves will come in among you and will not spare the flock. …
- Romans 6:1-14 NIV
- 1b…Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase?…
- Isaiah 1:11-12 NIV
- 11The multitude of your sacrifices— what are they to me?” says the Lord. “I have more than enough of burnt offerings,…
- Romans 3:10-17 NIV
12…All have turned away, they have together become worthless; there is no one who does good, not even one….
- James 1:26-27 NIV
- 27…Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows…
- 1Peter 3:15-16 NIV
- 15…be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have…
- James 1:2-18 NIV
- 2Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds,…
- James 1:19-27 NIV
- 22…Do not merely listen to the word, and so deceive yourselves. Do what it says….
- James 4:7-12 NLT
- 10…Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up in honor….
- 1Peter 1:1-25 NIV
- 8…Though you have not seen him, you love him; and even though you do not see him now, you believe in him and are filled with an inexpressible and glorious joy…
- Romans 8:1-4 NIV
- 3b…And so he condemned sin in the flesh, in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fully met in us…
- Joshua 1:1-9 NIV
- 5…Be strong and courageous, because you will lead these people to inherit the land I swore to their ancestors to give them….
- Hebrews 12:1-2 NIV
- 1Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, …
- Romans 8:12-15 NIV
- 15…The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather…
- Romans 8:1-11 NIV
- 1Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit who gives life…
- 1 Corinthians 9:19-23 NIV
- 20…To the Jews I became like a Jew, to win the Jews. To those under the law I became like one under the law…
Parable of the Sower – Matthew 13:3-8.
- A farmer went out to sow his seed. 4 As he was scattering the seed, some fell along the path, and the birds came and ate it up. 5 Some fell on rocky places, where it did not have much soil. It sprang up quickly, because the soil was shallow. 6 But when the sun came up, the plants were scorched, and they withered because they had no root. 7 Other seed fell among thorns, which grew up and choked the plants. 8 Still other seed fell on good soil, where it produced a crop—a hundred, sixty or thirty times what was sown.
Parable of the Weeds – Matthew 13:24-30.
24 Jesus told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a man who sowed good seed in his field. 25 But while everyone was sleeping, his enemy came and sowed weeds among the wheat, and went away. 26 When the wheat sprouted and formed heads, then the weeds also appeared. 27 “The owner’s servants came to him and said, ‘Sir, didn’t you sow good seed in your field? Where then did the weeds come from?…
Parable of the Mustard Seed – Matthew 13:31-32
- 31 He told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field. 32 Though it is the smallest of all seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds come and perch in its branches.”
Parable of the Yeast – Mark 12:1-12
Jesus then began to speak to them in parables: “A man planted a vineyard. He put a wall around it, dug a pit for the winepress and built a watchtower. Then he rented the vineyard to some farmers and moved to another place. At harvest time he sent a servant to the tenants to collect from them some of the fruit of the vineyard. But they seized him, beat him and sent him away empty-handed. Then he sent another servant to them; they struck this man on the head and treated him shamefully. He sent still another, and that one they killed. He sent many others; some of them they beat, others they killed..
Parable of the Yeast – Luke 10:29-37
But he wanted to justify himself, so he asked Jesus, “And who is my neighbor?” In reply Jesus said: “A man was going down from Jerusalem to Jericho, when he was attacked by robbers. They stripped him of his clothes, beat him and went away, leaving him half dead. A priest happened to be going down the same road, and when he saw the man, he passed by on the other side. So too, a Levite, when he came to the place and saw him, passed by on the other side. But a Samaritan, as he traveled, came where the man was; and when he saw him, he took pity on him..
Nature of God
Perfect – Psalm 19:7-11
7 The law of the Lord is perfect, refreshing the soul.
The statutes of the Lord are trustworthy, making wise the simple.
8 The precepts of the Lord are right, giving joy to the heart.
The commands of the Lord are radiant, giving light to the eyes.
9 The fear of the Lord is pure, enduring forever.
The decrees of the Lord are firm, and all of them are righteous.
10 They are more precious than gold, than much pure gold;
they are sweeter than honey, than honey from the honeycomb.
11 By them your servant is warned; in keeping them there is great reward.
Omnipresent – Psalm 139:7-12
7 Where can I go from your Spirit? Where can I flee from your presence?
8 If I go up to the heavens, you are there; if I make my bed in the depths, you are there.
9 If I rise on the wings of the dawn, if I settle on the far side of the sea,
10 even there your hand will guide me, your right hand will hold me fast.
11 If I say, “Surely the darkness will hide me and the light become night around me,”
12 even the darkness will not be dark to you; the night will shine like the day, for darkness is as light to you.
Merciful – Psalm 103:8-18
8 The Lord is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love.
9 He will not always accuse, nor will he harbor his anger forever;
10 he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities.
11 For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him;
12 as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us.
13 As a father has compassion on his children, so the Lord has compassion on those who fear him;
14 for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust.
15 The life of mortals is like grass, they flourish like a flower of the field;
16 the wind blows over it and it is gone, and its place remembers it no more.
17 But from everlasting to everlasting the Lord’s love is with those who fear him, and his righteousness with their children’s children—
18 with those who keep his covenant and remember to obey his precepts.